My name is Marian Christian.  As a young girl I lived with my aunty in Calcutta. In 1982, I came to live with my mother’s sister in Chennai. They lived in Mount Road and attended the Maranatha Church. I used to accompany them to Church on Sundays. In 1983, along with my aunty’s cousin, Richard, I took water baptism. Richard and I got married in 1989. Initially, everything went on very smoothly. My parents would come and visit us and we would go for a holiday to Bombay to be with them. Though we had taken water baptism, we did not attend a Pentecostal Church but we went to a Roman Catholic Church. When we were expecting our first child my husband’s restaurant shut down due to a major union strike. We were perplexed as we did not have any relatives in Agra, but only a few friends. We did not have enough money to pay the rent, and through a friend we got to stay on the military campus. My aunty who was with us at that time, worked as a maid in the Colonel’s home while my husband, Richard worked as a gardener. God was so mindful of us even at that time. The Colonel’s family were helpful to us.

         My first child was born in the military quarters and we baptized her in the Roman Catholic Church. My husband did not have a good job. Because of this feeling of insecurity, he began to drink. Although my cousin used to help us with whatever he could whenever he visited us, it was not sufficient. My husband had two major falls and injured himself and was unable to work, our problems mounted up. Then there was the Babri Masjid disaster, but by the grace of God, we were protected as we were in the military quarters. God’s hand was with us even though we had left Him, He did not leave us. When Richard’s parents heard of the destructions in Agra, they asked us to come back to Chennai. After returning to Chennai, my second daughter was born. My husband got a job in the harbour, but that was insufficient to meet our daily needs. By the grace of God, I got a job in ‘Lakme Beauty House’ at Gemini.

        One day, my husband met his cousin who enquired about us. When she heard that we were attending the Roman Catholic Church she was very disturbed and advised my husband to go to a Pentecostal Church. We began attending the Apostolic Church on Ritherdon road. Thereafter the Lord led us to A.C.A. Perambur Ministries. After we surrendered our lives to the Lord, we felt a great change come over our lives. My husband got a job in the canteen of the Doveton Girls School, and my children also got admission in the same School. We rented a nice house and began buying things for our home. My children completed their College and got good jobs.

        Last year, while we were returning from Oragadam, my husband’s bike skidded and we fell on our faces. I recovered quickly, but my husband was unconscious and took nearly thirty minutes to recover. The people who came to assist us said that he was dead. But at that time, the words of our Pastor came to my mind, ‘In your time of trouble, run to the throne and not to the phone.’ Immediately I put my hand on my husband’s head and prayed for him. After a few minutes, he sat up and asked what had happened. When the onlookers saw this, they said, ‘Your God is truly the living God.’ God was glorified there. When we went to the hospital, we found out that he had two fractures on his right hand, while I had blood clots on my arms and legs. I praise and thank my God for protecting us under His mighty wings in that terrible situation. I thank God for the spiritual parents He has given us, who uphold us in daily prayer. I give my God all the glory, honour and praise due unto Him.

“The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer, my God, my strength, in whom I will trust, my buckler and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.” (Psalm 18:2)