I was born in a Roman Catholic family. I have three sons and a daughter. I was a very staunch Roman Catholic and served in the Catholic Church at Renigunta in Andhra Pradesh. During the feast days of Our Lady, Saint Anthony and Saint Joseph, I used to take the procession of the idols in a cart around the town in Renigunta.

            My house was situated beside a Pentecostal Church in Renigunta and very often the Pastors and sisters would come to my house and tell my wife to accept Jesus as her personal Lord and Saviour. I would tell her not to encourage them in the house.  The Roman Catholics would say, ‘Born a Catholic, die a Catholic,’ and that is also what I said. I had great faith in the idols that I worshipped. While serving in the Roman Catholic Church, I had a lot of bad habits. I was an alcoholic, a heavy smoker, I also loved dancing and watching movies. I would come to Chennai, to attend all the dances. At the wedding reception of my relatives I would get drunk, cause a fight and because of that the wedding hall would have to be closed. When I got drunk my wife and children were put to a lot of inconvenience. I would chase them out and lock the door. They would sit outside till I opened the door for them to come inside.

            One day I developed a severe pain in my stomach and as days went by it became very bad. I  was not able to eat any food. I was not able to go to work regularly and I had to be admitted in the hospital several times. One day, while I was on duty to Jolarpettai, I got very sick and collapsed on the engine at Katpadi Junction and could not work any further. I was given relief from work and admitted at Katpadi Railway Hospital. Tests were taken and the results showed that I had gall bladder stones, and because of this, my gall bladder was about to burst.

            I came to the Chennai Railway Hospital, but they could not operate me as the chief doctor was not there. So I had to go back to Renigunta. On the way back I took bad, I was rushed to Stanley Hospital by my younger brother on 15th January,1996 and immediately they operated me and removed my gall bladder. For three days I was okay, but on the fourth day, my stomach began to swell and all the sutures gave up and my stomach burst open, blood and bile began to ooze out of my stomach. The doctor immediately began to clean my stomach and re-suture it.

            Pastor’s family visited me and prayed for me in the hospital. I was operated upon again. There was no hope for me. My wife and I began to pray to all the idols to heal me, but nothing happened. My mother-in-law came to see me and told me to surrender my life to Jesus and without any hesitation my wife and I surrendered our lives to the Lord Jesus and accepted Him as our Lord and Saviour.

            A few days later, I was discharged from the Hospital. On Sunday, my mother-in-law brought me to the A.C.A. Church which was at Watkins Street. I was so weak that I was unable to walk or stand for long. Pastor Adam prayed for me and I felt like a power flow through me. Pastor said, ‘Brother, the Lord has touched you. You are healed.’ The  next day I had to go for a check up, and the doctors found that there was nothing wrong with me and all the tubes were removed from my body. I soon began to gain strength. I was healed. When I called unto the Lord from my death bed, he not only heard me, but he also healed me. On 14th April, 1996, my wife and I accepted Jesus as our personal Lord and Saviour and took water baptism at A.C.A main Church by Pastor Adam. I thank my God for His faithfulness towards me and my family for the past 22 years. I give Him all the Glory.

 “Heal me, O LORD, and I shall be healed; save me, and I shall be saved: for thou  art my praise.” (Jeremiah 17:14)

 – Bro. Melvin Martin